Organised by the Imperial College London Diabetes Centre (ICLDC), the initiative is in partnership with the Emirates Foundation for Philanthropy and Daman – the National Insurance Company.
On Friday November 20, 2009, more than 10,000 members of the public are expected to pace the five kilometre walk to highlight the simple fact that diabetes can be managed and prevented by adopting a healthy lifestyle, which includes 30 minutes of moderate exercise a day. A good form of such exercise is brisk walking.
Richard Cregan, CEO, Abu Dhabi Motorsports Management, the team at the world-class Yas Marina Circuit, led the organisers of Walk UAE2009 through a test run on the track.
“We are thrilled that Yas Island has welcomed Walk UAE as its second event after the inaugural Formula 1 activities in the capital,”
said Dr Maha Taysir Barakat, Medical & Research Director and Consultant Endocrinologist, Imperial College London Diabetes Centre.
Dr Maha stressed that a brisk walk of 30 minutes a day is proven to help combat the onset of diabetes, and is of great benefit to those already with the condition.
“There is a simple, smart solution to preventing and helping to manage diabetes and that is eat healthily, exercise regularly,” she said. Regular exercise can lower the risk of developing diabetes by 58%.
1. Participants tickets and registration: Managed by more than 200 volunteers (from TAKATOF, DAMAN and ICLDC)
2. Walk with 10,000 members of the public on Yas Marina Circuit
3. Drumming session – interactive activity for participants
4. Children entertainment with clowns and face-painting area
5. Raffle Draw to end the event
Abu Dhabi Department of Transport will run special buses!
• The buses will run from 2pm-4pm (last bus leaves at 4pm) from the Central Bus Station to Yas Marina Circuit
• Buses will run from 7pm to 8:30pm (last bus leaves at 8:30pm) from Yas Marina Circuit to Central Bus Station.
Thursday, November 19- 2009 @ 12:45 UAE local time (GMT+4) Replication or redistribution in whole or in part is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Mediaquest FZ LLC.