During the opening ceremony, the presidency of the Arab electricity union was transferred from the Tunisian electricity and Gas Company to the Qatar General Water and Electricity Corporation (KAHRAMAA), presided by H.E. ENG Essa ben Hilal al Kuwari, the president of KAHRAMAA. Participants have congratulated the new president and members of the new board members of the Arab electricity union comprising; Egypt, Morocco, Yemen, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Algeria, Saudi Arabia, and Iraq.
The event is held every three years at the conclusion of each session of the council’s board of directorate. Holding the conference coincides with the celebration of the 25th anniversary of the establishment of the Arab Union of Electricity, during which significant achievements towards achieving its goal of growth and development of electricity the generation, transmission and distribution of electric power in the Arab world along with developing and coordinating the work areas of its members and boosting ties among them.
During the conference participants have agreed on organizing 7th Exhibition of Electrical Industries in the Arab World, organized by the Arab league on the sideline of the event. The significant participation of the public and private sectors in the Arab world and other countries led by Arab electricity ministers, who have confirmed their attendance, and including leading global manufacturers of electrical solutions and smart grids; experts and researchers in the electricity sector, renewable energy and smart grids, and other parties involved and interested in the above areas, have contributed at the success of the conference.
The meetings of thirty six of the Arab board of directorate of the Arab union of electricity, and the he seventh meeting of the general assembly was jointly held during the first day of the conference and the discuss the following topics:
- Transfer of the EU presidency of the Tunisian electricity and Gas Company to Qatar electricity and water corporation (KAHRAMMA).
- Approve the amended Regulations of the Union
-Follow-up the Union’s performance and agenda.
On the sideline of the conference, the seminar of renewable energy and smart grid held on Jan 8/9/2013. Among the main topics of the agenda are:
1- Restructuring the electricity sector in the Arab countries.
2- Investment opportunities in the electricity sector through IPP projects.
3- Smart grids, distribution network maintenance, demand side management, and energy conservation.
4- Loss reduction in electrical systems (generation, transmission and distribution).
6- Quality and services management in electricity distribution: Customer satisfaction, customer information systems and performance indicators.
7- Nuclear power for electricity generation in the Arab countries: Potential and projects.
8- Training to build new manpower in electricity sector.
Among the main recommendation of the s of the agenda are:
• Boost Arab coordination and expertise exchange in the field of the optimal exploitation of renewable energy and the use of smart systems.
• Call upon all specialists at field of renewable energy to devote their efforts to examine all available options towards long terms energies of less negative effect on the environment and explain the possibility of utilizing it in order to alleviate demand for traditional energy sources, thereby increasing the contribution of renewable energy in the energy balance in the Arab countries according to the nature of each country.
•Extend the Arabic electricity grid connection to include all Arab states in bid to connect with the neighboring Arabic electric grids to benefit from the available potential for the production of electric power in the Arab countries, especially from water sources and renewable energy sources and take advantage of different peak times among countries and the outcome of its production of the joint reserve.
• Stimulate private investors to invest in power projects in general and renewable energy in particular, and through the development of mechanisms to stimulate the legislation to improve the legal and financial environment in order to attract investment and create strategic partnerships between the private and governmental sectors.
•Develop policies and incentives to encourage the high technological electrical appliances to ease the burden on the electricity companies.
• Urge the competent authorities in the Arab world to adopt a fair tariff for electricity, and the application of variable tariff in order to stimulate the efficient use of energy and transfer electrical loads from peak periods.
• Support the Arab Electrical Industries and encourage investment in renewable energy equipment manufacturing by approving the necessary legislation.
• Promote smart grid applications in electric power systems, both in networks or counters to improve operational efficiency and optimize the investment in networks and improve the environmental impacts, and down to the networks smarter and more efficient
• Create awareness about the optimum use of electrical energy and the use of energy-efficient appliances as well as disseminating awareness about the application of the green building concept through the media, universities and educational institutions.
Thursday, January 10- 2013 @ 9:05 UAE local time (GMT+4) Replication or redistribution in whole or in part is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Mediaquest FZ LLC.