Qatargas wins award for the Best Sustainability Report of 2013 | Qatargas wins award for the Best Sustainability Report of 2013 -
Group photo.

Qatargas wins award for the Best Sustainability Report of 2013

: Wednesday, June 25 - 2014 @ 13:13

Qatargas has won the Best Overall Sustainability Report award for Qatar’s Industry and Energy Sector in recognition of its 2013 Sustainability Report which offers key updates on the Company’s economic, social and environment performance during last year.

His Excellency Dr. Mohammed Bin Saleh Al Sada, Minister of Energy and Industry, and Dr. Ibrahim B. Ibrahim, Economic Advisor to His Highness the Emir of the State of Qatar, jointly presented the award to Abdulaziz Mohammed Al Mannai, Acting Chief Operating Officer – Administration, Qatargas, in a ceremony held on Thursday at the Ritz Carlton Hotel. The event was organised by HSE Regulations and Enforcement Directorate (DG) at the Ministry of Energy and Industry.

Commenting on the award, Mr. Abdulaziz Al Mannai said, “We at Qatargas are extremely proud to receive this prestigious award. It is the result of sincere work and dedication by a cross-functional team we formed for this purpose and I would like to take this opportunity to thank them for a job well done. Preparation of the 2013 Sustainability Report provided us with a valuable opportunity to reflect on the progress we made in different fields related to sustainability. This award represents our commitment to further advance the Company’s sustainability agenda in full alignment with the 2015 vision of Qatargas and the four main development pillars of the Qatar National Vision 2030.”

He added, “The Sustainable Development Industry Reporting (SDIR) Programme, led by Qatar Petroleum’s HSE directorate, has provided us with a platform to be part of a sector-wide initiative that focuses on improving its contribution to all elements of our national aspirations. We appreciate the great work done by the Qatar Petroleum team in raising the sustainability profile of the State of Qatar through this unique initiative.”

Announcing Qatargas as a winner in the category of “Excellence in Overall Sustainability Reporting,” the 3-member international judging committee observed, “The 2013 Sustainability Report of Qatargas showed strong reference to materiality of issues throughout and alignment between business activities and their wider sustainability context. It also provides clear data and performance narrative, in addition to repeated reference to the Qatar National Vision goals and ambitions.”

The 2013 Sustainability Report of Qatargas, which is the fourth such report by the Company, includes data for the past 4 years as well as insight into the Company’s future activities towards its 2015 vision. The report highlights the significant milestones achieved by the Company in several areas. It mentions that in 2013, Qatargas produced LNG close to the full capacity of its facilities and will continue to do so into the near future. Over the next three years, the Company will continue to expand production of other gas-derived products helping to deliver cleaner diesel to Qatar.

Also in 2013, Qatargas delivered first shipments of LNG to four new terminals including one in Singapore, one in Malaysia, and two in China. Each of these shipments was used to commission an ever-growing list of LNG terminals being developed across Asia. Furthermore, three new Sales and Purchase Agreements (SPAs) were signed with some of the world’s largest utility service providers in 2013.

In the field of environment, Qatargas achieved a 20 per cent reduction in total hydrocarbon flaring from LNG assets and a reduction in water consumption as compared with previous years. With regard to safety, the company accomplished 20 million safe working hours for its Jetty Boil-Off Gas Recovery Project.

The Qatarisation rate advanced to 26 per cent and the average training hours per employee rose from 24.7 hours in 2012 to 28.7 hours in 2013. Also last year, Qatargas spent 44 per cent of its procurement budget on locally-based suppliers and contractors. These key developments were combined with a 70 per cent rise in the Company’s social and community investment spending.

For media enquiries please contact:
Nizar Ahmed, Tel: +974 5552 3307 [email protected]

Today's Top Stories

Posted by

Wednesday, June 25- 2014 @ 13:13 UAE local time (GMT+4) Replication or redistribution in whole or in part is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Mediaquest FZ LLC.

AME Info Services







Business DirectoryVIEW ALL

Search by name

Search by industry

Browse alphabetically





JobsVIEW ALL

Search for jobs

Latest Jobs