The third day featured scientific sessions which involved different topics such as the Regional Cooperation and Commitment to Ensure Environmental Sustainability and Growth.
In addition to technical sessions that discussed several sectors related to the attitude of oil and gas companies towards the environment.
Mr. Saleh Al Ghamdi, Saleh E. Al-Ghamdi, Vice President, Mina Saud Operations in Saudi Arabia chaired a session about oil spills, and Dr. Abdulaziz Al-Suwailem, Manager, Marine Studies Section, Research Institute, King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia chaired a session about Hazardous Materials Management.
The session about Safety and Transportation, it was chaired by Mr. Faisal M. S. Al-Lamki, Hd. Corporate Environmental Affairs – MSE/2, Petroleum Development Oman, Sultanate of Oman.
As for the last session, it was chaired by Dr. Benno Boer, Ecological Sciences Advisor, Nations Educational, Scientific & Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) and it featured general topics about the environment.
Furthermore, the awards were distributed for the winners of the “Amateur Photography Awards”.
At the end of the conference activities, and in conclusion of the seven scientific sessions which took place over three consecutive days, the participants were grateful to the government and nationals of the United Arab Emirates for the generous invitation, extending their thanks to:
His Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, President of the UAE, His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President, Prime Minister, Ruler of Dubai, President of Awqaf and Minors Affairs Foundation, the patron of the event, His Highness delegate of the event patron Sheikh Ahmed Bin Saeed Al Maktoum, Chairman of the Dubai Civil Aviation department, President and Senior Executive Officer at Emirates Group, His Excellency Dr. Mohamed Bin Saeed Al Kindi, Minister of Environment and Water
Moreover, the main results and recommendations from “Offshore Arabia” are as follows:
We aim to be at the forefront of protecting the environment and proactively seek world energy security and environmental sustainability. We champion new technologies and renewable as part of our future vision and we will continue to effectively project our energy and environment.
We would like to conclude with a clear message to all, we all share the responsibility and accountability; all organizations within our region have a role to play in environmental sustainability for the next generation. Below are the main recommendations:
1. Enhance international level participation of the conference
2. Maintain the them of the conference to include all environmental aspects related to Energy
3. Seek & urge all RECSO members to actively participate in organizing the conference
4. Conduct a joint regional oil spill drill
5. Increase GCC governmental Authorities participations
6. Involve more exhibitors from the Far East region
7. Continue to encourage photographers to participate in the exhibition
8. Continue conducting the environmental awards
9. Invite environmental artists
10. More environmental course, not only oil spill should be conducted
11. Continue to invite university students to the conference and involve them in the conference organization
12. Continue to include the visionary sessions as one of the main categories of conference sessions
13. Continue to encourage active regional cooperation among the relevant regional organizations
14. Involve more professional societies participations
15. Arrange annual forum to address the pressing issues in the region
16. Maintain the involvement of the mass media
Wednesday, December 20- 2006 @ 11:31 UAE local time (GMT+4) Replication or redistribution in whole or in part is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Mediaquest FZ LLC.