The Ajman Palace turned off its lights in adherence with Earth Hour, the global environmental awareness event created by the World Wildlife Fund (WWF), from 8:30 pm on Saturday 23 March. To underscore the hotel’s dedication to environmental sustainability, The Ajman Palace turned off non-essential and lobby lighting, and used candlelight to light these areas as well as the All-Day Dining restaurant and Lobby Café.
Although Earth Hour is over in a short period, The Ajman Palace continues to engage in sustainable practices all year long, including:
- Saving paper: The hotel tries to avoid wasting paper wherever possible by using digital collaterals such as e-business cards, e-brochures and e-fact sheet.
- Solar Collectors: The hotel is equipped with 110 solar collectors on the roof which provide up to 85% of the hotel’s hot water.
- Grey Water System: Recycled water is generated from guest room washbasins and showers for use in landscape irrigation which minimizes wastage.
- Reverse Osmosis Plant: The hotel’s RO Plant, a method of “membrane-technology filtration” helps to purify the locally available brackish water from a level of Total Dissolved Solid (TDS) of 4000ppm down to 200ppm, which strongly reduces the amount of chemicals and energy that has to be used.
- Motion Detecting Light: All corridors have motion detectors sensors, which reduce the amount of energy used by up to 40%.
Last year, Earth Hour 2012 became the biggest Earth Hour ever. A record of 7,000 cities in 152 countries and territories across all seven continents joined the global display of climate action. Iconic buildings and landmarks from Asia Pacific to Europe and Africa to the Americas switched off. People across the world from the walks of life turned off their lights and came together in celebration and contemplation of the one thing we all have in common – our planet.
Tuesday, March 26- 2013 @ 14:34 UAE local time (GMT+4) Replication or redistribution in whole or in part is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Mediaquest FZ LLC.