Mr. Milne specialises in international banking and finance, project and asset finance, and advising commercial and investment banks and corporate borrowers. He has particular experience on M&A, cross border, private equity and leveraged financings. Mr. Milne has also been involved in a broad spectrum of complex financing transactions, including multi jurisdictional leveraged buyouts, IPOs, telecom financings, infrastructure financings, securitisations, derivatives transactions, large scale joint venture arrangements, share purchase agreements and debt restructurings.
“Eric’s arrival gives us a significant step forward in our banking & finance capabilities in Dubai,” said Arman Galledari, Partner-in-Charge of Jones Day’s Dubai office. “With all the investment interest reflected in numerous project finance and infrastructure deals, Eric’s experience will allow us to advance the international focus of our practice, and help serve clients on inbound and outbound investment opportunities.”
Mr. Milne has advised on some of the most innovative transactions in the Middle East North Africa region including:
- Sorouh Real Estate’s $1.1bn Sun Finance real estate transaction (Deal of the Year 2008 (Emerging Markets – International Securitisation Report) and Structured Finance Deal of the Year 2008 (Islamic Finance Awards)).
- Advising the bank syndicate in connection with the $1.2bn financing for satellites Yahsat 1A and Yahsat 1B for Al Yah Satellite Communication Company, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Mubadala Development Company of Abu Dhabi.
- MTN Group on its acquisition of Dubai-based Investcom for $5.53bn – the first acquisition of a Dubai International Financial Exchange (now NASDAQ Dubai) listed entity.
- Tiger Global Management in connection with Yahoo! Inc’s. acquisitions of Maktoob.
- A regional consortium on its bid for the $2.5bn Mafraq-Ghweifat PPP road Project, Abu Dhabi’s first PPP project.
- Dubai International Capital (the Dubai-based international private equity investment arm of Dubai Holding) on its acquisition of Travelodge from the Permira Funds.
- Dubai International Capital on its acquisition of UK-based specialist engineering manufacturer Doncasters Group Limited from Royal Bank of Scotland Private Equity.
Mr. Milne is a regular speaker at various conferences, including The GCC Regulators’ Summit in the Kingdom of Bahrain; Private Equity Middle East on the Telecoms Industry across the Middle East and North Africa region; The Legatum Institute / Dubai School of Government conference on Insolvency Laws in the United Arab Emirates. He is also a contributor to various publications, including the Financial Times, mergermarkets, Khaleej Times, The National, Gulf News and The Brief.
Mr. Milne is recommended in PLC Which Lawyer 2009 and is mentioned in Chambers & Partners’ Global Guide to the Legal Profession 2008, 2009 and 2010.