Nikon Middle East FZE is pleased to announce the launch of the new D810, a full-frame digital SLR camera designed to enable photographers the opportunity to unleash their potential and produce extremely high-definition, high-quality images and video. The D810 offers the ability to record stunning Full HD video, while a 36.3-megapixel sensor and wide ISO range combine to offer unrivalled images rich in tone and definition. The D810 delivers shots that put the camera in a class of its own, while offering outstanding versatility to enable it to excel in a wide range of environments and situations.
The D810 puts incredible power and flexibility in the hands of videographers, recording Full HD 1080p movies at 60 frames per second (fps). It features top-notch image quality, and is designed to meet the needs of photography enthusiasts and professionals alike who demand a DSLR that delivers the ultimate blend of clarity, sharpness, and rich colours for any shot. The new model features a 36.3-megapixel sensor and an ISO range of 64 to 12800, giving the camera the capacity to maximise the full potential of Nikon’s wide range of NIKKOR lenses.
“The new Nikon D810 builds on the performance of the acclaimed D800 in producing breath-taking images,” said Garland Mak, Deputy General Manager of International Marketing Division Imaging Group, Nikon Singapore Pte Ltd. “The raw power of the D810 maintains the integrity of every frame, blending incredible picture quality with the ability to capture clear Full HD video, while giving professionals complete creative control over the image. Its high megapixel count and wide ISO range ensure rich and sharp images regardless of shooting conditions.”
The full-frame D810 is a step up from the successful D800, boasting an effective pixel count of 36.3 million, enabling images to be enlarged without degrading quality. The image sensor is designed without an optical low-pass filter to ensure images appear sharp while retaining rich tonality. It also packs the power of the EXPEED 4 image-processing engine that delivers high-speed processing with a wide range of ISO sensitivities ranging from 64 to 12800. This can be decreased to Lo 1 (ISO 32 equivalent), or increased up to Hi 2 (ISO 51200 equivalent), to offer further creative control for shooting in less-than-optimal conditions.
D810 Primary Features
1. High-definition, high-quality video
• Clear and accurate recording: The D810 features support for recording of 1080/60p Full HD videos. Optimized data processing designed to make use of the 36.3 effective megapixels provides rich, detailed video with smooth exposure alteration, even when brightness changes. The readout method of the image sensor has been further optimized to produce higher-definition images with a sense of depth. The D810 is designed to make the most of the range of high-quality NIKKOR lenses, opening up the possibilities of creative expression for movie makers. HDMI output can be used to simultaneously record directly to an external recorder, providing an additional level of flexibility and smooth transition of tonality.
• Metering and control to deliver clear and balanced shots: Centre-weighted and highlight-weighted metering enable the shooter to achieve stable, accurate metering under both changing light conditions or fixed lighting as on a stage or studio. The highlight mode detects the brightest areas of the scene and automatically determines an appropriate exposure. It’s also possible to automatically adjust ISO sensitivity to ensure appropriate exposure while shutter speed and aperture are fixed. A new Highlight Display feature automatically identifies and indicates areas that are likely to appear blown-out, prompting the videographer to adjust settings to achieve a better exposure.
• Dual-format recording: The D810 features support for two recording formats: full-frame- and cropped-format. The full-frame format provides outstanding results for movies filmed with a shallow depth of field, while the cropped-format recording offers an angle with a closer reach to the subject. These two angles of view can be achieved with a single lens, which enhances production efficiency.
• Improved audio that eliminates noise: A built-in stereo microphone is included that effectively minimises wind noise. Frequency response can be set between a wide range for atmospheric sounds or voice to highlight dialogue.
2. Unrivalled image quality in Nikon’s range
• 36.3-megapixel image sensor for rich tonality: The D810 includes a 36.3 megapixel image sensor designed without an optical low-pass filter to ensure images maintain rich tonality in any lighting conditions. The ISO sensitivity ranges from ISO 64 to 12800 and can be decreased to Lo 1 (ISO 32 equivalent), or increased up to Hi 2 (ISO 51200 equivalent) to suit any environment.
• EXPEED 4 image-processing engine delivers unrivaled quality and performance: The EXPEED 4 image-processing engine provides a number of enhancements that boost image quality over its predecessor. Enhancements include improved noise reduction performance at high sensitivities, as well as upgraded depth and clarity in gradation rendering – thanks to a new “Clarity” option in Picture Control. Higher accuracy of automatic white balance and an increased number of continuous shots combine to enable the D810 to shine in terms of picture quality and performance. In addition, the adoption of a new CMOS sensor with the EXPEED 4 delivers high-speed continuous shooting at approximately 5 fps in full-frame format and approximately 7 fps in cropped-format, making captures of a broader range for both still and moving subjects possible.
• Advanced creativity with Picture Control: The D810 also includes Nikon’s sophisticated image creation system, providing the photographer with creative control and quick access to a range of image adjustments directly through the camera menu.
3. Reliability and versatility
• Quick and accurate autofocus: An improved, 51-point autofocus (AF) system provides the highest accuracy in the history of Nikon DSLRs with extremely quick and accurate focus acquisition. A new “group-area AF” mode helps avoid unintentional background focusing when shooting moving subjects.
• Reduced vibration for clearer images: The D810 includes an electronic front-curtain shutter, which effectively reduces internal mechanical vibration. When the electronic front-curtain shutter is enabled instead of the mechanical shutter during mirror-up, the camera’s image sensor acts as a front curtain of the focal-plane shutter and this provides stability and minimal blur – particularly when shooting long exposures at night.
• Accurate color for perfect shot composition: An optical viewfinder with 100 percent frame coverage enhances light transmission ratio and coloration, enabling the photographer to clearly and accurately line up their shots. A new prism coating offers a clear, bright view of the subject. The D810 also includes an Organic EL display element, which provides a clear display of the indicator in the viewfinder, even when shooting outdoors. Monitor color balance can be customized according to user’s taste and environment.
4. Robust Form and Function
• Superb operability for perfect composition: The D810 includes an i button that provides direct access to various functions according to shooting situations, enabling the photographer to quickly set up for a shot. A “split-screen display zoom” function enlarges two points on the same horizontal line simultaneously to confirm that an image is accurately level, which is especially useful for architectural shots of buildings and bridges or landscapes with a horizon.
• Unlimited shots on the same frame: An unlimited number of high-quality JPEG images can be shot continuously, which helps produce beautiful light trails when shooting at night. When using the CH or CL release mode with a shutter speed slower than 4 seconds, the duration of continuous shooting can be extended indefinitely, provided memory card capacity and battery charge are not exhausted.
• Superior dust-prevention and durability: The D810 features a robust, weather-resistant design that offers a comprehensive seal against dust and water droplets. A newly-designed, highly accurate and durable shutter has been tested for 200,000 cycles with the unit actually loaded on the camera, providing years of trouble-free image capture.
5. High-performance NIKKOR lenses
• The perfect complement: The D810 has been designed to operate effectively with NIKKOR lenses to maximise the impact of the high pixel count to produce stunning still images and movies. The superb optical performance offered by the wide variety of lenses provides the shooter with the capability to capitalise on the performance of the camera.
* Except where noted, all specifications provided apply to use at an ambient temperature of 23°C (± 3°C) with a fully charged battery, in accordance with Camera & Imaging Products Association (CIPA) standards.