KIDPA announces winner names in its sixth session 2014
H.E. Sheikh Nahayan Mabarak AL Nahayan, Minister of Culture, Youth & Community, Chairman of the Board of Trustees of Khalifa International Date Palm Award (KIDPA), expressed his appreciation for the supreme and kind care received by the Award from the wise leadership of HH Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, President of the UAE (God protect him), the support of HH. Sheikh Mohammad Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown – Prince of Abu Dhabi, Deputy Commander of Armed Forces, and the appreciation of HH Sheikh Mansour Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Deputy Prime Minister, Minister of Presidential Affairs, an action which gave the Award a push forwards to maintain its pioneering position reached at the regional and international levels and contributed to sustain the UAE role in serving the Blessed Tree and those who work in the field all over the world.
The above was stated in a press conference held by Dr. Abdulwaheeb Zaid, Secretary General of KIDPA on Sunday morning the 16th of Feb. 2014 at the Emirates Palace in Abu Dhabi, to announce the names of winners of the Award sixth session in the presence of Dr. Ghaleb Al Hadrami, Member of the Board of Trustees, and Dr. Helal Humaid S.Al Kaabi, Head of the Administrative & Scientific Dept. of the Award.
Dr. Zaid stated, “We are proud of the high level reached by the award in its sixth session thanks to the great trust and instructions of HH HH. Sheikh Nahayan Mabarak AL Nahayan, Minister of Culture, Youth & Community, Chairman of the Board of Trustees of KIDPA”.
The Secretary General added that pursuant to the report of the Scientific Committee and judging the participating works in the Award five categories in the sixth session 2014 and after the approval of H.E. Sheikh Nahayan Mabarak AL Nahayan, the results were as follows:
The Category of Distinguished Researches and Studies
– The First Winner is: The Famous Date Varieties in kingdom of Saudi Arabia / General Directorate of Public Relations and International Cooperation – Ministry of Agriculture / kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
– The Second Winner is: Male-specific DNA markers provide genetic evidence of an XY chromosome system, a recombination arrest and allow the tracing of paternal lineages in date palm / Mrs. Frédérique Aberlenc Bertossi / France.
The Distinguished Producers Category
– The First Winner is: Mr. Boumaraf Messaoud / Algeria.
– The Second Winner is: Was Withheld.
The Best distinguished Technology
– The First winner is: Industrial Production Of liquid Sugar From Zahdi Dates Using Acid Technique For Clarification / Dr. Moayyad Mohammed Rushdy Al-Hakim / Iraq.
– The Second Winner is: Development and Performance Evaluation of a Solar Tunnel Date Dryer in Oman – Mohammad Ali Basunia / College of Agricultural and Marine Sciences – Sultan Qaboos University / Sultanate of Oman.
The Best Developmental Project Category
– The First Winner is: Integrated Dates Receiving, Handling and Storage System / Al Foah / UAE.
– The Second winner is: Sudanese Date Palm Society / Eng. Emad Idris Fadel AlMawla Youssef/ Sudan.
The Category of the Distinguished Personality
– The Winner is: Prof. Philip Barry Tomlinson / United Kingdom.
It is to be noted here that the first winner gets an amount of Dhs300.000 with a Shield and a Certificate of Appreciation, and the Second Winner gets Dhs200.000 with a Shield and a Certificate of Appreciation to be submitted during a great celebration to be held at the Emirates Palace on Sunday the 16th of March 2014.
The Award Statistics:
On his part, Dr.Helal Al Kaabi,, illustrated that this session has been distinguished by a number of basic points the most prominent of which is that the number of candidates reached to 102 representing 22 countries all over the world. Moreover, the national participation formed 10% of the total number of participants. However, the participation of the UAE national within the category of research and distinguished studies, the category of the best product and the category of the best developmental project. He referred to the fact the office of the General Secretariat started sorting the participating works and their evaluation with high degree of transparency and objectivity.
In his word, Dr. Al Kaabi summed up the most important achievements of the General Secretariat of the Award during the fifth session 2013 as follows:
1. The increase of the national participation in spreading and encouraging the targeted categories of the date palm farmers at the level of the country to participate within the Award categories such as The Cultural Convoy. Liwa Festival for Dates, Emirates International Festival for Date Palm.
2. The General Secretariat of the Award obtained the letter of renewing the Media License for the Blessed Tree Magazine issued by Abu Dhabi Council for Information in its capacity as a scientific periodical ( issued every three months ) specializing in date palm.
3. The Annual Book of the Award obtained the ISBN by the Ministry of Culture, Youth and Community development, in addition to approving the ISBN of the Book of the Winning and Distinguished Photos 2013.
4. Issuing the 4th volume which includes two issues of the Blessed Tree Magazine, which is considered the first scientific magazine to specialize in date palm at the level of the Arab region, which proved its success and contributed in enhancing specialized scientific media in the UAE.
5. The Secretariat General of the Award designed and published commercial advertisements in local newspapers in respect of the launching of the fifth session of the Award in its fifth session 2013 within its five categories. The campaign covered most of the mass media, advertisements, and specialized websites in addition to tools of social communications.
6. The Secretariat General of the Award carried out a group of publications and periodicals to introduce the Award and its various activities (Introductory luxurious pamphlet, brochure, posters).
7. Annual Book: KIDPA issued the fifth annual book which documents all the activities obtained by the Award in its fifth session at all areas and levels.
8. The Book of the Winning & Excellent Photos: It was issued through the Photography Competition (The Date palm in the Eyes of the World during its fourth session 2013).
9. The General Secretariat of the Award honored the winners in the Competition of “The Date Palm in the Eyes of the World” in its 4th session and opened the gate to participate in the international competition to photo the date palm in its fifth session.
In his speech, Dr. Ghaleb Al Hadrami, member of the Award’s Board of Trustees, did stress the continuous support and encouragement that focus on the blessed tree from all Government sources under the able leadership of H.H. Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, President of the UAE (God protect him). Such care & attention illustrate the excellent binding relationship between the UAE population and the date palm tree.
Dr. Ghaleb did also mention the recently published Decree of H.H.The President, God protect him, (Decree Number 2 / 2014), renewing the membership of the Award’s Board of Trustees. He also mentioned that the next Seventh Board meeting will convene on 16th of March and will discuss several important new issues & ideas.
At the end of the press conference , Dr, Abdelouahhab Zaid , Secretary General stressed on the importance of the efforts exerted by H.E. Sheikh Nahayan Mabarak AL Nahayan , Minister of Culture, Youth & Community, Chairman of the Board of Trustees of KIDPA in pushing the award wheel forward to achieve its goals at the national, regional and international levels to develop scientific research related to date palm tree and to encourage workers in the field of date palm cultivation such as farmers, producers m exporters, firms, societies and competent authorities, and to honor the personalities working in the filed of date palm at the local, regional and international levels .
It is worth noting that the celebration of honoring the winners of the Award in its sixth session organized by the General Secretariat of the Award will be held on Sunday the 16th of March 2014 at 10.00 a.m at the Emirates Palace in Abu Dhabi.
+971 55 6828700