Third Annual Qatar Choice Awards dazzles guests once again
Qatar’s hospitality industry was out in full force at the Al Areen Ballroom in the Renaissance Doha City Centre Hotel to celebrate the winners of the third Qatar Choice Awards (QCA) 2013 on Sunday, February 9th. Following a strong two-month online public voting competition, the winners across 26 categories were announced at a glitzy gala dinner reception, that included amazing musical performances by British Crooner, Atila Huseyin; local soul singer, Keyali Mayaga; Concert Pianist Sonya Parks; and the well-known Doha Jazz Band along with the fabulous Brazilian band Tocandira.
This year the QCA introduced new categories such as Favorite Family Ambiance won by The Italian Job, Radisson Blu Hotel and Favorite Fast Food chain won by Wrap it Restaurant. It also saw DJ Roger Choueiry reprise his win as Favorite DJ for Club 7 – La Cigale Hotel, two years in a row.
However, the undisputed winner on the big night once again was the Oryx Rotana Hotel, which seized four awards, stunning nominees and voters again. The Oryx Rotana’s team was able to successfully garner the highest number of public votes across four categories this year: Favorite Nightlife Ambiance-(The Jazz Club); Favorite Brunch (Choices); Favorite General Manager (Kevork Deldelian); and one of the most coveted awards of the evening , beating out 13 world class hotels to claim, The Favorite Hotel!
At the start of the voting process in November 2013, it was unknown how the voting would sway, but as the results came in, the public witnessed one organization take four awards again; defining and making it clear that determination and consistency are key to getting people to vote. The Oryx Rotana’s team succeeded in proving their marketing efforts and teamwork pay off showcasing a reprised remarkable achievement.
Following closely behind the Oryx Rotana Hotel, Al Mourjan restaurant, won two equally-coveted awards; Favorite Stand-Alone Restaurant, Favorite View and tied with Burj Al Hamam restaurant for Favorite Arabic Restaurant. This year, Al Mourjan Restaurant, also won two International Award of Excellence, one from the International Quality Summit in New York and the other from the European Society for Quality Research from Switzerland.
Other awards of note included, Favorite South-East Asian Concept (won again by Spice Market, W Doha Hotel), Favorite Live Music Band (won by Jazz at Lincoln Center Doha, The St. Regis Doha Hotel); Favorite Event of 2013 (won by Its Time for Africa, Sealine Beach Resort), the Seasonal Favorite in Qatar, the Favorite Ramadan Tent (won by the Ramadanak, Grand Hyatt Doha) and Favorite Newcomer won by Zaffran Café.
While the awards handed out to hotels lauded restaurants with equal vigor, the most exciting individual award for those gathered at the Qatar Choice Awards gala dinner was Favorite Individual in Hospitality Industry. The voting was quite tight for many weeks in this category as the industry weighed in on the most efficient, creative, and likeable person in the hospitality industry; the award was won on the night, once more by Luke Noble from The Four Season, Doha who tied with Maya la Chocolaterie’s own brand Manager, Houssam Chouman.
The Qatar Choice Awards platform was considered a massive success and the Renaissance Doha City Center Hotel, as the host of the event, was given the opportunity to showcase not only their ability to put on such an extravagant event but to highlight their culinary talents and service to the top tier of the industry. The guests as well as the hotel and restaurant industry representatives felt truly appreciated.
Moona Whitice, Executive Director of Qatar Happening and ABODE magazines, an associated company of Ahmed Hassan Bilal Group, noted that, “the awards are a way of highlighting the marketing and team efforts of each hotel and restaurant to ask for the public to vote for them. Last year we challenged everyone to have another strong showing and I think many of those who won took the challenge seriously. Congratulations to everyone who worked so hard to win. The whole exercise is guaranteed to push the restaurants and hotel industry of Qatar forward- and that, in the end, is good for Qatar.”
George Ayache, General Manager of IFP Qatar and Naycom Qatar mentioned, “By joining hands with Qatar Happening and I love Qatar we managed for the second year in a row to bring to Qatar’s hospitality scene another beautiful edition of the Qatar Choice Awards. Congratulations to all the winners.”
With over 25,000 vote casts across 27 categories featuring 8 nominees’ in each category, the winners and runner-ups can be sure that is in the public’s hands.
We want to thank all the people who voted especially our sponsors who have been supporting us for the second year: Gulf Crafts, Al Isteklal IAC Qatar, Boecker Public Health, Love Gifts, Etihad Airways, Maya la Chocolaterie, Trinity and Habib Hair & Beauty.
This year’s winners:
• Favorite DJ: Roger Choueiry La Cigale
• Favorite Newcomer: Zaffran Café
• Favorite Delicatessen – Bakery & Chocolate Shop: Maya la Chocolaterie
• Favorite Stand Alone Restaurant: Al Mourjan
• Favorite South East-Asian Concept: Spice Market – The W Doha Hotel
• Favorite View: Al Mourjan
• Favorite Event in 2013: It’s Time for Africa at Sealine Beach Resort
• Favorite Nightlife Ambiance: The Jazz Club – Oryx Rotana
• Favorite Fitness Center: The Ritz-Carlton Spa
• Favorite Lounge & Pub: Sky View – La Cigale Hotel
• Favorite Beachfront: Sealine Beach Resort
• Favorite Arabic Restaurant /A Tie: Burj Al Hamam – The Pearl Qatar and Al mourjan
• Favorite Brunch: Choices – Oryx Rotana
• Favorite Individual in the Hospitality Industry/A Tie: Luke Noble – The Four Seasons and Houssam Chouman – Maya la Chocolaterie
• Favorite GM: Kevork Deldelian – Oryx Rotana
• Favorite Hotel: Oryx Rotana
• Favorite Ramadan Tent: Ramadanak – Grand Hyatt Doha
• Favorite Spa: Energy Heaven
• Favorite Family Ambiance: The Italian Job – Radisson Blu Hotel, Doha
• Favorite Themed Restaurant – Creative Concept: Orient Pearl Restaurant
• Favorite Fast Food Chain: Wrap it
• Favorite Café: Zaffran Café
• Favorite Outdoor Venue: Blue – Grand Heritage Hotel
• Favorite Chef: Chef Zarmig – Mamig Restaurant
• Favorite Live Music Band: Jazz at Lincoln Center Doha – The St Regis Doha
• Most Hygienic Restaurant: Al Liwan – Sharq Village & Spa Doha
For further information, please contact:
Ibrahim el Rassi
Telephone: + 974 4432 9900