Key highlights of Dubai’s Bluewaters Island tourism project
Dubai has been putting in every effort to be ranked as a top destination in the global tourism sector.
Bluewaters Island, a massive new tourism project, is expected to continue to build on the emirate’s reputation as a leader in the global retail and entertainment landscape.
On Saturday, the Dubai RTA awarded a $129.3 million contract for the building of bridges to link the tourism project with the mainland.
The $1.6 billion Bluewaters Island project by developers Meraas Holding is situated off the coast of Jumeirah Beach Residence. The project will have a huge entertainment zone, which will include the world’s largest Ferris wheel.
Here are some of the highlights of the Bluewaters Island project:
- Besides the world’s tallest Ferris wheel and an entertainment piazza, the island will feature huge retail, residential and hospitality zones.
- The $272mn Ferris wheel, known as the Dubai Eye, is considered to be the island’s centre of attraction. Starneth Engineering and Hyundai Contracting have been appointed to design and build the 210-metre-high wheel.
- The island will have a main bridge with two lanes in each direction stretching 1,400 metres in length.
- The Island will have its own monorail system that will connect tourists with the nearest metro station in the mainland, which is Nakheel Harbour and Tower.
- A pedestrian bridge to the JBR beachfront has been planned, along with a cable car system that will bring tourists to the entertainment piazza.
- The island will have a luxury five-star hotel and various residential options.