Libya won’t take part in any OPEC cuts for ‘foreseeable future’

November 27, 2016 4:46 pm


* Libya refuses to implement OPEC cuts as it is trying to bring crude output back to pre-conflict levels

* Country has more than doubled its national crude production to 600,000bpd

* But this is far below 1.6m bpd produced before 2011 uprising

Libya’s National Oil Corporation (NOC) said on Sunday it would not take part in any OPEC production cuts for the “foreseeable future” as the North African country tries to bring crude output back towards pre-conflict levels.

“Libya is in such a dangerous economic situation, there is no way it can participate in OPEC production cuts for the foreseeable future,” NOC Chairman Mustafa Sanalla told delegates at the Arab-Austrian Economic Forum in Vienna on Friday, according to an NOC statement.

Depleting reserves

Libya has more than doubled its national crude production to roughly 600,000 barrels per day (bpd) since several previously blockaded oil ports were reopened in September.

But output remains far below the 1.6 million bpd the country was producing before its 2011 uprising, and Libya has been rapidly depleting its foreign exchanged reserves.

Also read:Iraq willing to cut oil output in OPEC’s plan to boost prices: PM

Libya had already indicated its reluctance to curtail production and this week OPEC will debate a proposal to cut production that would exempt Libya and Nigeria, another country where output has been hit by conflict.

The NOC hopes to raise production to 900,000 bpd by the end of this year and to 1.1 million bpd in 2017, but the increases depend on the lifting of a blockade at pipelines serving the western fields of El Feel and Sharara.

Also Read: 3 ways Trump win will make OPEC deal work

Tags:

Reuters
By Reuters
A division of Thomson Reuters, Reuters is an international news agency headquartered in London, England, and provides up-to-the-minute news and views on global and regional events.



AMEinfo EXPERTS