Here’s what the Middle East thinks of Trump

November 8, 2016 6:06 pm

File Photo: Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump gestures and declares “You’re fired!” at a rally in Manchester, New Hampshire, June 17, 2015. REUTERS/Dominick

  • Landmark Group stopped sales of Trump Home products in its department stores
  • Saudi billionaire Prince Al Waleed Bin Talal called Trump a disgrace to the US
  • UAE billionaire Khalaf Al Habtoor pulled his support for Trump, calling him a “loose cannon”

 

As we inch ever closer to finding out who the USA voted for as its next president, let’s take a look back at all of the reactions that Republican candidate Donald Trump received from across the Middle East over the duration of the campaign.

The real-estate-developer-turned politician stirred enough controversy in the United States, but many other regions, including the Middle East, also reacted to his contentious policy statements and comments on various issues, such as immigration, trade, war on terrorism and treatment of Muslims.

Trump’s anti-Muslim rant at the beginning of the year invited sharp rebuke from many political and business leaders in the region. Obviously, some of them cost the business magnate dearly.

No more Trump products

In January this year, Dubai-based Landmark Group decided to cease the sales of Trump Home products in its Lifestyle department stores in Kuwait, the UAE, Saudi Arabia and Qatar in response to Trump’s repeated calls to ban Muslims from entering the US.

Books go off shelves

The Saudi Arabian retail major Jarir Marketing Co’s bookselling business removed books written by Trump – including the Arabic-language edition of his 2009 book Think Like a Champion – from its shelves following his controversial remarks.

Real estate jitters

Damac Properties took down a huge billboard featuring Donald Trump at its Akoya development site in Dubai following the controversial remarks. But the developer restored the signage saying that its partnership is with the Trump Organization, which had nothing to do with Trump’s political views.

Disgrace to America

Saudi billionaire Prince Al Waleed Bin Talal called the magnate a disgrace to the US after Trump called for a ban on Muslims entering the country in December.

“You are a disgrace not only to the GOP but to all America,” Prince Al Waleed, the chairman of Kingdom Holding, said on his Twitter account. “Withdraw from the US presidential race as you will never win,” he added.

Loose cannon

UAE real estate billionaire, Khalaf Al Habtoor, pulled his support for Trump in May, calling him a “loose cannon” and retracted the comments he made earlier in August about Trump being “a breath of fresh air” in the US elections.

Can US afford Trump?

Saudi Prince Turki al-Faisal, a former ambassador to the US, reacted to Trump’s proposed Muslim ban saying: “For the life of me, I cannot believe that a country like the United States can afford to have someone as president who simply says, ‘These people are not going to be allowed to come to the United States’.”

Serial liar, racist, misogynist…

Last but not the least, Huffington Post never failed to add the following disclaimer at the end of every story on the Queens, New York city-born billionaire:

Note to our readers: Donald Trump is a serial liar, rampant xenophobe, racist, misogynist, birther and bully who has repeatedly pledged to ban all Muslims — 1.6 billion members of an entire religion — from entering the U.S.

Tags:

Mujeeb Rahman
By Mujeeb Rahman
Journalist
Mujeeb Rahman is a business journalist at AMEinfo. His areas of focus include economy, markets, politics and international relations in MENA and Asia-Pacific regions. An ex-BBC digital journalist, he delves deeper into the subjects that matter most.



AMEinfo EXPERTS